Keep Your Pets Safe On Easter
During Easter the Pet Poison Hotline gets hundreds of calls.
24/7 Animal Poison Control Center 800-213-6680
One of the things is Easter Lillies. They’re extremely toxic to cats. All parts of the plant are very bad for them. Cats that ingest one or two leaves or even a small amount of pollen while grooming their fur, can cause kidney failure.
In most cases symptoms will show up in 6 – 12 hours. Signs include vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy and dehydration. These symptoms will worsen as kidney failure develops. Some cats will experience disorientation, staggering and seizures.
You need to get your cat to the vet as soon as possible, for there’s no antidote for this. So getting to the vet right away, increases the chances for survival. If you see your cat even licking an Easter Lilly, call the vet or Pet Poison Helpline immediately.
There’s also other types of lillies that are toxic. They include the Lilium and Hemerocallis species and commonly referred to as Tiger lilies, Day lilies and Asiatic lilies. These lilies are commonly found in florist bouquets, so it is imperative to check for poisonous flowers before bringing bouquets into the household.
Other types of lilies, such as the Peace, Peruvian and Calla lilies are usually not a problem for cats and may cause only minor drooling. Thankfully, lily poisoning does not occur in dogs or people. However, if a large amount is ingested, it can result in mild gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting and diarrhea.
Another problem at Easter for pets is the grass found in the baskets. When your cat or dog ingests something “stringy” like Easter grass, it can become anchored around the base of the tongue or stomach, rendering it unable to pass through the intestines. Don’t try to pull it out! It can result in a linear foreign body and cause severe damage to the intestinal tract, often requiring expensive abdominal surgery.
Calls to the poison center increase by nearly 200% during the week of Easter for dogs that have eaten chocolate. Eating a chocolate chip isn’t real bad, but some chocolates are very toxic to them. The darker and more bitter the chocolate, the greater the danger. Baker’s Chocolate and dark are the worst ones. The chemical toxicity is due to methylxanthines (a relative of caffeine). This can result in vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, an abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and possibly death.
Other sources include chewable chocolate flavored multi-vitamins, baked goods, or chocolate-covered espresso beans. If you suspect that your dog ate chocolate, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately.
Our pets are so curious about new things we bring in. We just need to keep these things put up or even hidden. Just make sure they don’t get a hold of any of these things.
Thank you for stopping by! I really appreciate you! Have a wonderful Easter!