Keep Your Pets Safe On Easter

Keep Your Pets Safe On Easter

During Easter the Pet Poison Hotline gets hundreds of calls.

Safety-pets-Easter

24/7 Animal Poison Control Center 800-213-6680

 

One of the things is Easter Lillies. They’re extremely toxic to cats. All parts of the plant are very bad for them. Cats that ingest one or two leaves or even a small amount of pollen while grooming their fur, can cause kidney failure.

In most cases symptoms will show up in 6 – 12 hours. Signs include vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy and dehydration. These symptoms will worsen as kidney failure develops. Some cats will experience disorientation, staggering and seizures.

You need to get your cat to the vet as soon as possible, for there’s no antidote for this. So getting to the vet right away, increases the chances for survival. If you see your cat even licking an Easter Lilly, call the vet or Pet Poison Helpline immediately.

 

flowers-lillies-poisonous-cats

There’s also other types of lillies that are toxic. They include the Lilium and Hemerocallis species and commonly referred to as Tiger lilies, Day lilies and Asiatic lilies. These lilies are commonly found in florist bouquets, so it is imperative to check for poisonous flowers before bringing bouquets into the household.

Other types of lilies, such as the Peace, Peruvian and Calla lilies are usually not a problem for cats and may cause only minor drooling. Thankfully, lily poisoning does not occur in dogs or people. However, if a large amount is ingested, it can result in mild gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting and diarrhea.

Another problem at Easter for pets is the grass found in the baskets. When your cat or dog ingests something “stringy” like Easter grass, it can become anchored around the base of the tongue or stomach, rendering it unable to pass through the intestines. Don’t try to pull it out! It can result in a linear foreign body and cause severe damage to the intestinal tract, often requiring expensive abdominal surgery.

Pets-Safety-Easter
 

Calls to the poison center increase by nearly 200% during the week of Easter for dogs that have eaten chocolate. Eating a chocolate chip isn’t real bad, but some chocolates are very toxic to them. The darker and more bitter the chocolate, the greater the danger. Baker’s Chocolate and dark are the worst ones. The chemical toxicity is due to methylxanthines (a relative of caffeine). This can result in vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, an abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and possibly death.

Other sources include chewable chocolate flavored multi-vitamins, baked goods, or chocolate-covered espresso beans. If you suspect that your dog ate chocolate, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately.

Our pets are so curious about new things we bring in. We just need to keep these things put up or even hidden. Just make sure they don’t get a hold of any of these things.

Thank you for stopping by! I really appreciate you! Have a wonderful Easter!

 

Please leave me a comment with any suggestions or questions. I love hearing from you!

my signature
 
Print

Posted in Pets
Tags: , , ,
One comment on “Keep Your Pets Safe On Easter
  1. Very important info! Thanks for sharing on the Pet Parade!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

CommentLuv badge

Please follow & like us :)

RSS
Follow by Email
Facebook
Facebook
Google+
Google+
http://www.momndaughtersavings.com/2014/03/keep-pets-safe-on-easter/
Pinterest
Pinterest
LinkedIn
Instagram
Family Matching PJ’s at Sleepyheads.com
Schoola.com

Shop Now and Save

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Gymboree Sale On Now!

Google+

Let's Get To Pinning Together!

  Pinterest

Where authors and readers come together! />

See More Posts

Have Yourself A Linky Party

Badge

I’m Featured On –

Influential Social Media Mom Blog Community

Listen now to the Radio Pet Lady Network

Two Little Cavaliers
%d bloggers like this: