#Appetizers – Swedish Meatballs – Printable
These are the best meatballs we’ve had!
#Appetizers - Swedish Meatballs -Printable
Author: Mom 'N Daughter Savings
These mushrooms make an amazing appetizer
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1½ cups breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- 3 large eggs
- ½ pound ground pork
- ½ pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- Freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 tablespoons lingonberry or cranberry preserves
- ½ cup sour cream
- Chopped fresh dill, for topping
- Fresh pickled cucumber slices, for serving
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, season with salt and cook until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes; set aside.
- Combine ½ cup breadcrumbs and the milk in a bowl; set aside until the milk is absorbed, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir the sherry and mustard powder in a large bowl until dissolved, then beat in 1 egg. Add the soaked breadcrumbs, the browned onion, the pork, turkey, honey, allspice, 2 teaspoons salt, and pepper to taste. Gently mix with your hands until combined.
- Dampen your hands; form the mixture into 36 small meatballs, about 1 tablespoon each. Put on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Put the remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Whisk the remaining 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons water in a bowl. Dip each meatball in egg, letting the excess drip off, then roll in the breadcrumbs; return to the baking sheet.
- Heat about 1½ inches vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 325 degrees F. Working in batches, fry the meatballs, gently stirring with a slotted spoon, until golden and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Fold the lingonberry preserves into the sour cream and top with the dill. Skewer each meatball with a pickled cucumber slice and serve with the lingonberry cream.
Thanks to Food Network for this recipe.