Cheddar Mushroom Heart Tarts
These can be used as an appetizer or add a salad and have a small meal.
The tarts are great for brunch.
If you’re having a Valentine’s Day party, these would be great to have before all the chocolate candy! They’ll make a wonderful addition to the hors d’oeuvres tray!
If you don’t have a heart pan, you can just use the muffin pan. They’re very good, so they don’t have to be hearts! I hope you enjoy these as much as we do.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter, cut into pats
- 2½ cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup finely ground Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper or a dash of hot sauce (optional)
- ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup ice water
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk or half and half (I used Almond Milk)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- For the crust:
- Work the butter into the dry ingredients to form an uneven crumbled mixture.
- Put in the cheddar cheese and water, mixing until the dough is cohesive
- Add an extra tablespoon or two of water, if necessary.
- Divide the dough in half, shape each half into a disk, wrap,
- Chill for 30 minutes
- For the Filling:
- Saute the mushrooms and red pepper in 1 tablespoon of butter till the mushrooms are browned. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Roll one piece of the dough into a 10" x 13" rectangle, and cut it into squares.
- Fit the squares into the heart pan. (or cut rounds, and fit into a mini-muffin pan).
- Place a teaspoon each of sauteed mushrooms and peppers and shredded cheese into each cup.
- Fill with the egg mixture.
- Bake the tarts for 18 to 22 minutes, till golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Serve warm; or refrigerate and reheat for 10 minutes in a 375°F oven.
Do you have any special Valentine’s Day recipes? I’d love to see them. If you leave a link in the comments I’ll have a look for sure! Have a wonderful day! Thank you for stopping by!
I found this recipe on KingArthurFlour. I changed a couple of things a little. If you need some heart baking pans, see below. It’s an affiliate link, but it doesn’t affect your price in any way.
There’s a lot more recipes at the top of this page, if you’re interested. Plus two children’s giveaways going on right now under Current Giveaways.
Disclosure: In accordance with FTC guidelines, I am required to inform you that the above post may contain affiliate links. If these links are clicked, I may receive monetary compensation. If the above post is a product review, I received a product from the company in order to facilitate the review. I did not receive monetary compensation unless indicated. Either way, whether this post contains affiliate links and/or reviews, the opinions expressed are my own and I will only suggest or recommend sites and products that I believe will benefit my readers. If this is a giveaway, sponsors are responsible for fulfilling prizes, not the bloggers.
When you leave a comment, you won’t see it until it’s approved. It’s very much appreciated!